Friday, December 31, 2010

Umm, rule universe will I.

Hello Everyone,

Hows it going?  Jaide and I are bracing for another loud night.  For holidays, the popular thing here in Guyana, is to set up literally a wall of speakers,  measuring 10-15 feet tall, by 10 feet wide.  Then you blast your music as loud as humanly possible and offer food and alcohol.  People flood to the streets.  A massive sea of people walking, somewhat aimlessly, from one beer stand to the next.  Liming around and sporting it up (hanging out and drinking/partying).   For some I think its a Pavlov's dog's response.  They see large speakers, hear insanely loud music and start to feel the need to walk the streets and drink.  I don't know, maybe I need to get some funding for an experiment.

In the top picture, you see Ramzan and what he learned from his study.  This is the man who we have been slowly explaining the issue of Universal Sovereignty.  Well, if you look closely at the picture he has drawn that he will support Jehovah's rule and not Satan's.  And yes, that is Satan on the your right side of the paper, not Yoda. ( UMMM, rule universe will I.) He may not understand all the details, but he gets the point.

The other picture is of our sign language class.  Or, as we refer to it 'informally teaching sign language to some friends from the hall.'  Nothing official.  Starting from the left and going right, we have Roxy and Mary.  Now they are supposed to be doing the sign for Satan.  Where the learned the sign they are doing beats me.  Both at the same time, like they had been practicing, made horns with both hands.  The class has been really fun.  A good reason to get together, laugh and eat some good food.  The best things in life!

The Guyanese word of the day:  sleeping officer.  Translation: speed bump.  The first time I heard a brother use that expression I was looking around for a police officer asleep.  The brother noticed me looking around and asked, "isn't that what you call them at home?"  I responded, "yes, or sleeping police."  Another brother then explained what it means.  They all got a good laugh.

Love,
G&J