Saturday, March 12, 2011

Me duh know she!


Hello Everyone,

Traffic jam with cows and sheep
How are you doing?  Some weeks writing the blog is a piece of cake.  Good. funny or exciting things have happened.  Other weeks, we sit down and have to struggle to have anything to write about.  When that happens you get blogs like last weeks, discussing my bowel problems (I am doing better, thank you very much).  But, this week I couldn't wait to write it.  Why?  Awesome ministry experiences.

We will start with Imran.  He used to study the Bible, but stopped probably around a year ago because of family opposition.  He and his family are Muslim.  His sister is deaf also, but when their family gave her a hard time she continued to study.  Jaide is studying with her and she is doing amazing.  Well, a couple of weeks ago Imran told Jaide that he wanted to talk to me.  After a couple attempts I finally met up with him.  We gaffed for a bit.  He told me I should start to work with him.  He would teach me how to cut
hair, and that we would make a good team.  Then he asked about the meetings.  I explained what's up with us interpreting the meeting into sign language and the last Sunday we have a full sign language meeting in New Amsterdam.  He said he wanted to go.  "Sweet!" I thought.  Next I asked," before you studied the Bible, then stopped, what's up?"  He explained his cousin and friends got mad at him and yelled at him.  So he stopped.  He said he had gone to the Muslim temple, but they don't teach him.  He then said, "I love Jehovah.  Muslim, Hindu, Christian Churches alright.  But, Jehovah I love."  I wanted to jump off that couch.  He then said, "I don't care if my cousin is mad. If my Mom calls (she lives in New York), I am deaf and I can't hear her."  This happened Tuesday and Thursday he surprised us by coming to meeting, along with his sister and cousin.  He was all smiles, nodding when he understood things.  After the meeting it was beautiful to see all the friends come up and meet them. This came at great time for us.  We were starting to feel down, because we haven't had any deaf come to meeting in awhile.  Jehovah again gave us what we need.

Its been raining like crazy!  All day yesterday, we make it to our Bible studies, battling the mud and
downpours.  I slept with long pants and a sweatshirt, and I was still cold.  Keep in mind, I've been in Guyana awhile. I know this 'freezing air' is nothing to you in New York or Canada.  This morning, we again ventured into the rain to go to market. I told Graem he can never complain about going to Winco again.  If he does, I will tell him it could be worse.  Each person could  be sopping wet, whipping around umbrellas that keep slapping you in the face.  By the time we got home, Graem looked like he stepped straight out of a shower with all his clothes on.

Guyanese expression of the day: If you want to speak like a true Guyanese person, you must remove some words from your vocabulary. These words are "I, her, and him".  You must replace them with "Me, she, he".  Examples: "Me duh know she." "That she book."

Please writes us some time,


Love J & G